As I'm sure you've noticed by now, I wear my hair up a lot. Lately, one of my favorite hairstyles is up in milkmaid braids. Since some of you have been asking how to do it, I figured I'd do a quick tutorial for you guys!
The best thing about this hairstyle is that it's super easy and only takes about 5 minutes to do. If you can do a simple braid, you can make this happen. Promise!
Take a look at the photos and follow along!
1. Brush your hair! Mine's always real tangly, so this is key.
2. If you've got hair that's prone to laying flat like I do, spray a little hairspray on your roots and scrunch it up to give your hair a bit of volume.
3. Divide your hair into two sections by parting it down the back of your head.
4. Begin braiding one side. Once you get a bit of a braid started (like, maybe 2" or so), hold it in place and scrunch your hair up a bit by your roots. Again, volume!
5. Finish your braid, and secure it with a small hair tie. I like using the tiny little elastic ones, since they're not bulky.
6. Repeat steps 4-5 on the other side.
7. Grab the end of one of your braids and bring it up over your head like a headband. Once you've positioned it to your liking, use a bobby pin to pin it in place. I find that the best spot for this is just above the hair tie since the bulk of the hair tie holds the braid in place very nicely.
8. Repeat step 7, tucking the end of your braid and the bobby pin under the other braid.
9. Use bobby pins to secure and loose bits. I usually pin the ends of my braids under the braids themselves, and also pin the base of the braids so they don't stick out too much.
10. Optional: spray your whole head with hairspray to help hold the style. Real talk: I'm lazy and skip this step.
And there you have it! In just about 5 minutes you've got yourself a super cute hairstyle!
Follow me on: